adjective \ȯl-ˈtər-nə-tiv, al-\
Definition of ALTERNATIVE1: alternate 12: offering or expressing a choice <several alternative plans>3:different from the usual or conventional: as
a : existing or functioning outside the established cultural, social, or economic system <an alternative newspaper> <alternativelifestyles>
c : of or relating to alternative medicine <alternative therapies>— al·ter·na·tive·ly adverb— al·ter·na·tive·ness noun
Examples of ALTERNATIVE
- Scientists are developing an alternative approach to treating the disease.
- He developed an alternative design for the new engine.
First Known Use of ALTERNATIVE1540
Definition of ALTERNATIVE1a :a proposition or situation offering a choice between two or more things only one of which may be chosen
b : an opportunity for deciding between two or more courses or propositions2a :one of two or more things, courses, or propositions to be chosen
b : something which can be chosen instead alternative to intervention>
Examples of ALTERNATIVE
- We decided to leave since our only other alternative was to wait in the rain.
- I was offered no alternative.
- The menu offered several vegetarian alternatives.
First Known Use of ALTERNATIVE1576
adjective \ȯl-ˈtər-nət-iv, al-\ (Medical Dictionary)
Medical Definition of ALTERNATIVE
: of, relating to, or based on alternative medicine <alternative therapies>
I love all things alternative, alternative rock, alternative fashion, alternative news, alternative medicine, alternative lifestyles, and I started Lavoce due to my desire for an alternative career. To me, “alternative” is another word for liberty and freedom of choice (no, I’m not being political here). What I mean to say is that it celebrates our free will and our willpower that drives us to succeed in whatever it is we want to do, whether it is spend our life playing video games and learning how to tie a cherry stem with your tongue or joining the circus. You have 100% control over your destiny because you have the power of choice. Have fun with it. Enjoy it. Do what you love and love what you do. Live the American dream: always be in pursuit of your happiness.
I don’t care if you want to go all out and do something like some Japanese did in this article, which showcases an example of a wild alternative style: http://living.msn.com/style-beauty/simply-chic-blog-post/?post=324569dc-719f-40de-908e-2cb803e0e27e&_nwpt=1. Whatever you want to do is 100% OK with me. I support any alternative path you take.
My name ain’t eBo for nothing. If you take the words “be” and “do,” remove the “d,” and shuffle the letters, you get my name because I want you to be and do whatever you want. Don’t let anyone ever steal your dreams.
As Robert Frost said, “I took the one [road] less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.”
- What springs to mind when you hear the term ‘alternative medicine’? (eslschoolforenglish.wordpress.com)
- Top 11 Alternative Rock Guitarists Revealed. Vote For Number One! (kroq.cbslocal.com)
- Western Doctors & Alternative Medicine (2011) (holistichealthliving.wordpress.com)
- … i’m a little bit (alternative & indie) rock (soularadiance.wordpress.com)
- Traditional vs. Complementary/Alternative Veterinary Medicine: A fundamental Distinction (northscottsdalevet.wordpress.com)
- Alternative Medicine Paternalism (randi.org)